McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act of 2001
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (Subtitle B-Education for Homeless Children and Youth), reauthorized in January 2002, ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness. Services to homeless children are required by Local Educational Agencies in the No Child Left Behind Act, and are primarily found under the requirements of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act of 2002 (Title X, Part C No Child Left Behind Act) and under Title I. http://www.utdanacenter.org/theo/
Definition of Homelessness (McKinney-Vento Act Sec. 725(2); 42 U.S.C. 11435(2)
The term “homeless children and youths
(A) who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, and
- children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; or living in motels, hotel, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings…
- children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned building, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
- migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).
The McKinney-Vento application may be completed and submitted to your child's campus principal. For more information, please contact WOCCISD's Homeless Liaison: Dr. Larry Haynes (409)882.5556 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
A list of services available to families experiencing homelessness or who are in need of basic necessities can be found at the link below.
- North Early Learning Center - 882-5434
- West Orange – Stark Elementary School - 882-5630
- West Orange – Stark Middle School - 882-5520
- West Orange – Stark High School 882-5570
- West Orange – Stark Academic Alternative Center 882-5524