WEST ORANGE-STARK HIGH SCHOOL
PROM DRESS CODE
With modesty in mind, the following dress code guidelines will be enforced at the West Orange-Stark High School Prom.
- Dresses may NOT be cut below the bust line. The bust continues around your sides directly under the armpit. With arms down at your side, if flesh touches below the bust line, the dress is inappropriate. Excessive bust exposure is prohibited.
- Dresses may be backless as long as they are not cut below the waistline.
- No open midriffs will be allowed. This includes both the front and side. With arms down at your side, if flesh touches flesh in the midriff section, the dress is inappropriate.
- Dresses may not have a slit that exceeds mid-thigh. This is fingertip length.
- Undergarments should not be visible. See-through apparel is not permitted.
- No cover ups (coats, shawls, sweaters) will be allowed over dresses that do not meet dress code.
- Pinning and fabric inserts – NO pinning will be allowed as an alteration for a dress if without the pins, the dress does not meet dress code. Make alterations ahead of time.
- Fabric inserts must be sewn, not pinned on the dress, if without the inserts the dress does not meet dress code.
Most importantly, this dress code does not limit your ability to show your style and uniqueness. There are many beautiful, stylish dresses that do meet dress code. All dress code decisions are left up to the discretion of the administration.
- Formal prom attire may be classified as a tuxedo or dress suit, including a tie, bow tie, a shirt, which may include a vest or cummerbund. Shirts must be worn at all times.
- Dress shoes are preferred. Tennis shoes can be worn as long as they are clean and appropriate.
While we will be reasonable in our interpretation of these guidelines, we want you to know that you will not be allowed into prom if you are dressed inappropriately.
Refunds will not be given for dress code violations.
If your date is not a student at WO-S High School, it is your responsibility to inform your date of the prom dress code. Also, dates who are not students of WOS must be pre-registered on the Prom Event Guest Request Form with prior approval to attend.
If you have any questions regarding the Prom or the dress code, it is your responsibility to seek prior approval from administration (Campus Principal).
Once the student leaves the prom facility, he/she will not be permitted to reenter. In case of an emergency, staff, security personnel, or administrators can accompany a student to and from his/her car. Everyone must keep in mind that student safety is of primary importance.