School Health Advisory Council
FAQs for School Health Advisory Council
- Q: What is SHAC?
A: SHAC is a mandated (law) advisory council comprised of individuals who represent segments of the community. The group works collectively to provide advice to WOCCISD on aspects of the school district’s health plan.
- Q: Why do we need a SHAC?
A: It’s Texas law.
Healthy children learn better.
Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy lifestyles.
- Q: What is included in a School Health plan?
- A: There are 8 areas or components. The SHAC plays a variety of roles in addressing all components of a school-wide health program. The components are:
- Family/Community Involvement
- Nutrition Services
- Physical Education
- Health Education
- Counseling, Psychological Services
- Health Services
- Healthy School Environment
- Health Promotion for School Staff
- Q: What can I do to help?
A: Join PTA and other organizations at your child’s school
Actively support district initiatives to create a healthy school environment
Attend SHAC meetings